Travis Voss' Training Log

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

9-1-2014 Testing Phase Week 2, Squat A

Post by TravisVoss on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:16 am

Starting out week two of the testing phase still a little sore from the deadlifts on Saturday. Work went pretty well. Front and Zercher squats for a top set of 5 at RPE 7. Found my front squat weight pretty easily and the set went really well I believe. This was my first time doing Zerchers so it took a few sets to find the groove and weight. Video got cut short for some reason but at no point were my legs the problem. I found that I was battling to remain upright some so that's why I stopped at that weight.

Front Squats
230 x 5

Zercher Squats
195 x 5

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-2-2014 Testing Week 2, Bench A

Post by TravisVoss on Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:52 am

Starting off with the floor press last night for a set of 3 at RPE 8. I thought I would get a little bit more, but never really found the right groove. I still felt I hit a decent weight comparatively. I think I could hit some better numbers with more time on this movement. Don't laugh at the video of my two board press. We didn't have a board setup and it can be hard to use a spotter and still have someone hold the board so we improvised using a 3" PVC pipe. Like the floor press, I felt I should have been able to do a bit more weight, but I realized I wasn't tucking my elbows how I normally would. I am still happy with the resulting single at RPE 8

Floor Press
245 X 3

Two Board Press
280 X 1

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Travis Voss' Training Log

Post by Merat91 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:23 am

Good work mate Smile

Merat91

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TravisVoss on Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:25 am

Thanks!

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-3-2014 Testing Phase Week 2 Deadlifts

Post by TravisVoss on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 am

Something happened to the second video, so this one only shows the first exercise which is the deficit pulls. I am STILL getting some soreness and cramping in my low back/hip area where my injury is. I am going to go through a few options to find some treatment for it. I plan on continuing my training but go on feel like I did this day. I pulled until I felt some cramping after then decided to shut it down. For both exercises that ended up being at 315. The weight felt just about right for the deficits though I am sure I can do a bit more. The block pulls, other than not finding the right starting position to get in to the groove, I felt I could do a decent amount more than this but didn't want to push it.

2" Deficit Deads
315 X 5

2" Block Deads
315 X 5

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-4-2014 Testing Phase Week 2, Squat B

Post by TravisVoss on Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:48 am

In another instance of low energy and the lifts being entirely new to me, here is last night's work. The SSB had a definitely different feel. I worked up to a nice final set that was challenging but never really struggled to complete.

The Bulgarian Split Squats were a bit troublesome. Mostly because of just trying to maintain balance and push the weight. My instructions were to get a moderately difficult set of 8 so I did that. I'm not sure if it would be easier with a barbell, but I thought the dumbbells would be better for balance and control.

SSB Squats
240 X 5

Bulgarian Split Squats
70 X 8 per leg

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 am

I definitely think the dumbbells are a bit more user-friendly when being introduced to unilateral work, and really, it should be difficult and uncomfortable the first time around. You handled them well though, and more importantly, they give us another option for future programming.

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://teamkeough.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

9-10-2014 Testing Phase Week 3, Bench A/Squat A

Post by TravisVoss on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:51 am

Back at it after a short layoff because of some work travel. I was happy to see that coach had updated my spreadsheet. Noticed that I'd done the previous two weeks wrong with the scheduling so I'll be correcting that this week. That said, here is how yesterday's work went.

My bench called for comp paused at RPE 8 for a set of 10 to start. I felt these went pretty well. I need to hold my pauses a beat longer perhaps. The last few reps weren't quite as fast as I'd have liked, but all in all I was happy with how they went. Next came ultra wide grip bench for a single at RPE 8 then 10 at RPE 7. I was amazed at how good these felt. The single I took felt fast and easy. I didn't hold the pause as long as I would have liked so that factored in to me not wanting to take a second. I feel if I had held the pause just a moment longer that the weight would have gone up closer to the RPE 8 feel. The weight I did was as much as I did with my normal grip in my last meet (which didn't go well because of the injury). I also added a belt on recommendation from Andy. I liked the feel of this so I will probably continue. The set of 10 went equally as well, I believe.

Squat was programmed similar to the bench. Comp set up for a set of 10 at RPE 8 went very well I thought. The double paused came next with 1 at RPE 8 then 10 at RPE 7. The single was much easier than I anticipated so I worked up quickly and hit a nice top set. I then got over confident on the set of 10. I never felt that it got too far out of the RPE 7 range as far as my ability to complete the lift, but my breathing got labored and I got tired so had to take a few breaks through the set.

Bench
Comp grip 185 x 10 @ RPE 8
Wide grip 240 x 1 @ RPE 8, 175 x 10 @ RPE 7

Squat
Comp stance 235 x 10 @ RPE 8
Double Paused 285 x 1 @ RPE 8, 225 x 10 @ RPE 7

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-11-2014 Testing Phase Week 3 Accessory Day

Post by TravisVoss on Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 am

With the crunch of the week and business travel, I decided to hit my accessory lifts last night. Kept it just challenging enough to hopefully push some adaptation. Threw in some conditioning work at the end.

Barbell Rows
115 x 10, 125 x 12 x 2

Leg Extensions
80 x 12 x 2

Seated Hip Abduction
Red Mini Band x 12 x 2

External Shoulder Rotation
Medium Tension Band x 12 x 2

Modified Fran (95lbs) for time, 11:11

This conditioning work is something my training partner and I have been adding in once a week to help with recovering and to, well, get in better condition.

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-12-2014 Testing Phase Week 3, Deadlift

Post by TravisVoss on Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:07 am

Yesterday's work was two clusters of deads. First cluster was with 60 seconds of rest using both stances with the same weight, mixing in chains. I felt all of these were really fast and felt good even though working on a lower weight end.

Second cluster was the same scheme with a bit more weight and a longer rest.

Cluster#1
Conventional
205 x 2 x 2
185 + 40lbs of chainz x 2 x 2
Sumo
205 x 2 x 2
185 + 40lbs of chainz x 2 x2

Cluster #2
Conventional
245 x 2 x 2
225 + 40lbs of chainz x 2 x 2
Sumo
245 x 2 x 2
225 + 40bls of chainz x 2 x 2

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-13-2014 Week 3 Bench B/Squat B

Post by TravisVoss on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Working on my perceived #2 and 3 weaknesses. I chose floor presses because I just wasn't happy with how they felt last time and overhead press because I know this lift is always lagging. The floor presses went very well I thought but I need to learn to tuck my elbows better with them so I don't get shoulder soreness. I wasn't thrilled with the weight I got in the overheads but it is what it is.

For the squats I choses front squats and Bulgarian Split Squats. The front squats I was pretty happy with. The split squats were alright but just feel odd because they are new.

Floor Presses
280 x 1 at RPE 8
195 X 10 at RPE 7

OHP
165 x 1 at RPE 8
135 x 10 at RPE 7

Front Squats
265 x 1 at RPE 8
175 x 10 at RPE 7

Bulgarian Split Squats
130 x 1 at RPE 8
75 x 10 at RPE 7

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-15-2014 Switching Phase Squat A

Post by TravisVoss on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:29 am

Back to having Kyle prescribe cardio for me for a week. Switching between testing and my first training cycle. Last night I was allowed to autoregulate up by 15lbs if I desired. 220 seemed like a low number, but as the sets progressed, I realized I had no desire to really do more. Keeping the sets reasonably challenging to finish, but nothing where I felt I was grinding them out.

Comp Squats
220 x 9 x 5

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-17-2014 Switching Phase Upper A Bench

Post by TravisVoss on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:46 pm

A little more rep work, this time on bench. Was told I could autoregulate up by 10lbs so I went for it this time. Feeling pretty good. Everything felt crisp, controlled, fast. Did my bent rows and then threw in 4 light sets of cleans just for fun.

Paused Bench
160 x 9 x 2
165 x 9 x 2
170 x 9 x 1

Bent Rows
115 x 10 x 3

Cleans
115 x 3 x 4

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-18-2014 Switching Phase Accessory work

Post by TravisVoss on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:42 am

Kept it light and easy last night. Even took the curlz down a bit to just focus on controlled reps and form. Doing my best to get a good pump, yo. I started in straight bar curlz, but switched to EZ bar the second set because I just don't like how curling with the straight bar feels on my wrists. I didn't adjust any other weights but the theme for the night was nice and easy to get good feelz.

Weight Plate Oblique Twists
45 x 12 x 2

Barbell Curlz
55 x 12
60 x 12 (EZ Bar)

Hamstring Curls
70 x 12 x 2

Banded Hip Adduction
Rogue Blue Band x 12 x 2

Rope Face Pulls
80 x 12
90 x 12

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-22-2014 First Training Cycle, Bench A

Post by TravisVoss on Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:56 am

First training night in the first training cycle. Bringing up intensity and exertion slightly. I held the pause what I felt like was longer than I had been. Speed felt good on all of the regular grip sets. Then went wider and hit doubles for 5 sets with the same weight. I am really liking how these wider grip lifts are feeling. They feel fast and explosive. Finished off the night with some bent rows. Added a couple more reps per set and went up each set to get the exertion level up while maintaining form.

Paused Bench
190 x 6 x 5

Wide grip paused bench
190 x 2 x 5

Bent over rows
115 x 12
125 x 12
135 x 12

I think I somehow goofed up in editing the video together and either missed a set or two or duplicated. I don't know, but you get the idea by what is in there how things went.

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-24-2014 First Training Cycle, week 1 accessory

Post by TravisVoss on Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:31 pm

Snuck in this accessory day here today. Kept things moving pretty quick with 60-90 second rests. Picked weights that allowed me to keep good form yet were challenging toward the end of each set. It was a good day.

Pullups
bw (180) x 10 x 3

DB Shoulder Press
45 x 12 x 3

Leg Extensions
80 x 12
85 x 12
90 x 12

Banded Hip Abduction
Rogue red mini band x 12 x 3

Banded External Shoulder Rotation
"hard" band x 12 x 3

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-25-2014 First Training Mesocycle, Week 1 Lower A

Post by TravisVoss on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:10 am

Starting off the first squat session in the mesocycle. Looking forward to a nice periodization and workload as we see if we can get me prepped for a possible run at the UPA meet in November.

These squats all felt pretty clean and good. The last set I was trying to keep my speed up and got out of position, thus the pause before completing the last rep on the main squat sets. The double paused squats also all felt challenging enough, but nothing I was going to struggle with. I may need to learn to slow down more as these sessions progress. Not in bar speed, but to take more time setting up each rep to hold my groove.

Squats
255 x 7 x 4

Double Paused Squats
210 x 2 x 5

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-27-2014 First Training Mesocycle, Week 1 Upper/Lower B

Post by TravisVoss on Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 pm

This is one of the best training days I've had in awhile. It started off slow. I wasn't really feeling good energy starting off with the bench. I stopped when I felt the reps slowing to give me an RPE8. Watching the video, though, perhaps I could have gone for one or two more. I would like to hold my pauses longer still. They feel decent when I am doing them but always appear shorter on video. Next session I'll hold the beat longer in my head or hopefully have someone around to call them for me.

The deadlifts couldn't have gone better. My energy popped up as I was moving what, for me lately, was decent weight and moving it well. Granted it was off of 4" blocks it felt reall good. I was pumped up and pacing like a caged cat between sets, eager for the next (yes it sounds a little bit ridiculous, but that's how it felt and it is something I've been needing to feel). One instance of some of the cramping/soreness that has been consistent with my deads, but I was able to roll, stretch, and hydrate it away to keep going. I only included a few of each exercise in the videos to keep it shorter. Mostly the first, last, and one or two through the middle.

Close Grip Paused Bench
175 x 11 @RPE8

Wide Grip Paused Bench
175 x 9 @ RPE8

4" Block Deads
365 x 3 x 6

DE Deads
205 + 40lbs of chains 2 x 8

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-29-2014 First Training Mesocycle, Week 2 Lower A

Post by TravisVoss on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:40 am

This night didn't go how I really wanted. Everything felt slow. Last week I started with the bench on Monday, but typically will squat Monday's to fit in my schedule better so I decided to get back on that schedule last night. It was a poor decision after having deadlifted Saturday. I need to make sure going forward that I have as much rest as possible between heavy lower body movements. My legs were very fatigued but I was able to stay strong with them. The problem was my lower back. It was very tired as well. I pushed for awhile, but stopped two sets short on my double paused set because I could just tell things were lining up to go very bad for me if I tried to push through the fatigue.

Squats
275 x 6 x 5

Double Paused Beltless Squats
225 x 2 x 3 (coach called for 5 sets)

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

9-30-2014 First Training Mesocycle, Week 2 Upper A

Post by TravisVoss on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:38 am

Did this one in the Militiabarbell gym and didn't have my normal set up so there were only two videos. One in the Facebook post and another in here. All the weights felt real light and easy. I felt like I held the pauses longer as I'd been wanting to and still exploding up.

I did keep the bent over rows lighter than normal because of the fatigue felt in my low back from my previous two lower sessions.

Paused Bench
205 x 6 x 5

Wide Grip Paused Bench
200 x 2 x 5

Below is the wide grip. I tried to share the video of regular set in the Facebook post, but I'm not sure it is available to everyone.

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

10-2/10-3-2014 First Training Mesocycle Week 2, Accessory work and Upper/Lower B

Post by TravisVoss on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:23 am

Accessory day went off without a hitch, although I didn't have access to a leg curl setup so I improvised a glute/ham raise.

Knee Raises
12 x 3

Curlz
60 x 12
65 x 12 x 2

Glute Ham
12 x 3

Hip adduction
red band x 12 x 3

Face pull
90 x 12
100 x 12 x 2

Upper/Lower B
The bench all felt really fast and crisp. Enjoying the variety here.

I was still feeling some fatigue in my lower back and a little cramping. I was called for perceived 85% off of 4" blocks on deads. Warming up I just decided to cap it at 315 and get the sets in. Felt pretty good. Moved the weight well without causing any discomfort.

Close Grip bench
190 x 10

Wide Grip bench
190x 8

4" deads
315 x 2 x 5

DE Deads
215 + 40 chains 2 x 5

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

10-6-2014 First Training Mesocycle, Week 3 Lower A

Post by TravisVoss on Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:59 am

Still feel like I am constantly battling this strain/spasm in my lower right hip. I can feel just fine leading in to a training session and sometimes even during. Then after it I just feel sore and crampy. This time I decided to alter my setup some to try to take a bit more tension off the area. I used more of a medium bar placement and stayed more vertical. This felt pretty good so I kept it up. I must have missed recording a set somewhere as I did 5 sets of each movement.

Squats
295 x x 5

Beltless Double Paused Squats
240 x 2 x 5

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

10-7-2014, First training mesocycle, Week 3, Upper A

Post by TravisVoss on Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:12 am

Heaviest bench thus far in what Coach has put together for me. Every rep felt great. Good pauses. Felt pretty fast. Had a nice session.

Since I focused on keeping my torso vertical to give my low back a bit of rest during squats, I swapped out bent rows for some pullups.

Paused Bench
220 x 4 x 5

Widegrip Paused Bench
210 x 2 x 5

Pullups x 10 x 3

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

10-10-2014, First Training Mesocycle, Week 3 Upper/Lower B

Post by TravisVoss on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:31 pm

Earlier this week I had decided that since I was still feeling this strain, cramping, oddness in my back I was going to skip the November meet. I am working with the VA to get some PT and see if they can't help me work it out. I am not going to adjust my training too much as it doesn't seem to have a great impact on how I feel unless I really over do it. Ironically enough, this is the best I've felt in awhile going in to a deadlift day. I worked up to my 90% off of 4" blocks which felt good at a conservative 405. I pulled these tentatively at first, which confirms my decision to not do the meet. I don't want to go in to it feeling tentative at all, because that will probably lead to more injury. The third set felt like it flew and was easy. I decided if the fourth went equally as well, I would go for 420. The fourth wasn't as fast but felt easy so I went for 420 and that felt like the best lift of the day.

Yesterday and today, my back as felt fine. No additional soreness which I take as a good sign.

Narrow grip paused bench
205 x 8 (RPE8 reps)

Wide grip paused bench
205 x 7 (RPE8 reps)

4" Block Deads
405 x 1 x 4
420 x 1

DE Deads w/ 40lbs chains
225 x 2 x 8

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

10-13-2014, First Training Mesocycle, Week 4 Lower A

Post by TravisVoss on Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:45 am

This is the week where it is death by sets/volume. Didn't sleep well the night before, but came in and got the work in. All felt good and smooth. I kept the higher bar placement that I started last week to stay more vertical and it seems to have worked out well. Felt like all sets moved well.

Squat
225 x 6 x 8

Double Paused Beltless Squats
190 x 2 x 8

TravisVoss
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down